Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Cat for Mother's Day!

I've had a cat since I was 15 years old. We've been 'catless' for about a year now, since I gave my cat, Miah, to my grandson, Landon. (Man, are all those commas right? Looks like a lot.) Anyway, now that we're at the lake I've been hinting to Don that I might need another cat. I've prayed that God would just send one my way and have been leaving a dish of food out on the deck for awhile, just in case God needs help. It's been eaten a few times, although I'm not sure if my visitor was a cat or armadillo. Or raccoon. Or skunk.
So we went shopping in Waxahachie yesterday (isn't that a fun name for a town?), and Don bit the bullet and bought me a cat for Mother's Day. I was so hoping not to get another long-haired, and I am a bit partial to a calico. But this one looked like it could use a good home.

A full grown cat. A very calm cat. I tend to think kittens are a bit over-rated, dealing with all that skittering around, clawing up the furniture, and cat-box lessons.

Who would have dreamed we'd find the perfect cat at an antique store?! $15 and she never needs shots or food or vet visits.

I haven't picked out a name for her yet, but I did buy a quart of brick red paint for this. It fit in the back of the Durango with a whole 2" to spare.

Still thinking about a real, alive, purring cat. Still praying - maybe God will send me one. In the meantime, the pie safe will be a great start to warming up the kitchen. Anthropologie has some monogrammed knobs - I think it's going to look great when I'm done.

Happy Mother's Day everybody!


Susan said...

You had me going there on the cat!!! Love the pie safe. Be sure and show us the finished project. Happy Mother's Day!!

Becky said...

My aunt has a dog that sits on the back of her couch in the family room. Very well behaved and never needs a walk :)

Happy Mother's Day to you Bev. I love the pie safe and I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

Susanne said...

I had to look twice at first at that cat. LOL.

The pie safe is a gorgeous piece of furniture. Can hardly wait till you show us the finished look.

Happy Mother's Day to you too, Bev!

Fonda said...

I love that cat!

Happy Mother's Day.

unfinishedwork said...

LOL. I need to remind you - it's Mother's Day, not April Fool's Day!

Karen said...

I LOVE the new cat! It looked so real, and I was so hearing her purr as she slept on your stool! I can tell you and Don are loving your new life!! Happy Mother's Day!

leslie said...

The cat does look real. I think that the note on the bottom is hilarious though! I would hope that anyone that would turn a sleeping cat upside down would already know it wasn't real!!!

Love the pie safe!

Happy Mother's Day, Mama! Love you!

Becky said...

Very life like! : )

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Too funny!

That pie safe is nice!

Barb said...

I swear I thought that was a real cat! :)